This lesson was about making the mari, the base ball for the design which when done transforms it in to the TEMARI!. Yes I do know most of this, but I have learned a few things I did not know. The temari to be made for this lesson were free hand embroidery which presented a good challenge since I have not done any embroidery in 30+ years.
The first temari I made is what I call Buttercups. The first thread I chose was too light in color against the mari background so I layered darker colors, all yellows, to also give more depth and texture to the flowers. The second temari was to be a portrait so I did ME, I call it the Pensive Girl with Curly Hair. This temari took two weekends to make since I had to investigate stitches that would work best for part of the hair - A cast on stitch is what I chose.
Next up is Lesson 2 where the simple divisions and wrapping are covered.