Most (but not every) girls who watched it say that Uhura and Yeoman Rand taught them that women could be smart, technical and go to space.
Actually my father told me that and he taught me that being a engineer could be cool, fun and smart thing to be for a career.
But who did I like the most on Star Trek?? Well it was Scotty!
I loved the accent and that if HE and the engineers had not fixed the Enterprise (cause every few episodes, at least, something had to be fixed) they were all up the creek without a warp nacelle. He also helped me see that humor in overly serious situation is needed.
But the best thing I learned was what I call the Scotty Method. If you Google it, you will also see it called the Scotty Principle or the Scotty Factor.
For those of you who don't know what it is - it is the method of estimating a task such that you have saved the day by completing it sooner than expected.
Yeah, you never caught on to that, did you.
1) The Enterprise would be damaged by some alien ship and the warp drive was down.
2) Kirk would punch the button on his chair and ask Scotty how long it would take to fix it.
3) Scotty would reply something like "I don't know Captain.. it might take xxx days (or hours)"
4) Kirk would tell him to get on it cause they had to do something soon
(some short amount of time later..)
5) That something was now and Kirk would once again punch the communications button and get Scotty on the speaker "Scotty, where are with those repairs?"
6) Scotty would reply with something like "Aye, Captain; I just finished!!"
7) Kirk would again claim that Scotty was a miracle worker
and then off the would go and save the day, again.
So people this is the lesson. When you are put in a difficult situation and have to do some task that is important think about how long it would take YOU to do it. Then how long would it take someone that does not have your complete skill set; that might be twice as long. Now select some time frame between the two.
That is the time you tell those pushing you for an estimate.
In the long run you will either
Finish early (your original mental estimate) making you that miracle worker
You will take the full time per the estimate you gave them due to some unforseen problem, thus proving you can still meet your quoted deadline.
Here is a great clip of Scotty telling Geordie he is doing it wrong!
PLUS another one where he confesses it to Kirk.