At least I can recognize my problem; isn't that the first sign??
I am making some custom presents for myself and a friend. I could not get the original artwork so I a saved the images from their website. I then traced the part of the image I needed using Adobe Illustrator but there was text to get their company name and I did not know what font was used. What does a computer geek do? They upload the image with the text to Identifont and from there I was able to find several close fonts. I then went to my font folder and started to see if I had the closest match.
But what did I find? I had only installed about 300 of the thousands of fonts I have. That led me to do a massive search across my Mac's hard drive and my external hard drive. I figured I had better aggregate them. By the time I was done just getting them all in one folder I had over 3000 actual files and many many duplicates. I then loaded them all in to Font Book which is an application that is included on the Mac. From there it identified the same fonts but with different file names on the hard drive and using the option to actually delete the duplicates I told it to go forth and purge.
In the end I had 1,838 physical files taking up 1.28G of space and 1,139 font families. It turns out for some fonts I had SIX physical files but mostly just 2 or 3. Overall this took 2 hours but I had a great sense of accomplishment.
Now Elisa of Scotland is going to send me her fonts (another several thousand) and I will do the same for her and we will combine them all so we will have a master font repository.
And of course, I eventually found the font that was identified as THE font. I was able to finish the graphics and now 6 custom T-shirts are on their way to me. Sorry, I can not reveal it yet as I said it was a surprise.