The first thing I am noticing is that the time to wrap a mari is less and they are more symmetrical but most of all I noticed that when using a Styrofoam core, the are less round and I have to work more at making it so. Where as using rice hulls or fabric, batting, and thread scraps for the core, it is easier to obtain a round/symmetric mari.
Then of course with a more symmetrical mari, when I divide it, the marking are spaced evenly and I don't have to do as much fiddling. Speaking of dividing and marking, I knew how to divide and mark simple 4's and 8's but this week, I learned how to do a simple 10 (S10) and a Complex 10 (10), more on this in a bit.
After marking a S4 (simple 4) I wrapped bands of different colors along those divisions as well as the obi which is the equator of the mari. The lesson material listed 4 different Temari from which to select one. based upon your skill level. Being the over achiever I am, I decided to do them ALL and that is where the C10 came into play.
The third temari was a challenge for me not because it was an S8 nor because it had woven wrapped bands but because it has stacked wrapped bands as well. Learning to stack and wrap was a bit confusing, to get them to lay properly along each other and on top of each other. Now that this one is done, I can see where I went wrong and where it was correct. I am going to look through my Temari books for another design like this and make that one in the next few weeks to help me improve working with that design element.
Finally, after making the other Temari, I practiced dividing a S10, which I had not done before, and from there dividing the S10 into a C10. Along the way I got lost in several times so I had to start dividing the C10 over, but luckily I had left the S10 pins in the mari along the equator so I did not have to start ALL the way over. After placing the pins, I had to measure the distances between all the pins to ensure they were the same distance apart, resulting in a symmetrically marked ball. After adding the division lines, I selected 5 colors, one for each band and I then wrapped along each division and when I came to a previously wrapped division, I went over or under it to interlace the bands. And this I did over as well because part way in to the third band, I realized I was wrapping on the wrong centers so I cut it all of and began again. At 10 pm on Saturday I finished wrapping the 5th band and then I realized, had done it wrong AGAIN!!! I was once again on the wrong center; despite that I do like the colors and the look.
Today, Sunday I wound a new mari, marked it and then located the centers for the pattern and then I started wrapping. 6 hours later I finished it and you can see the Temari below.
I have sent the images to my Temari Teacher, Barbara, and she has responded that they all look great especially the C-10.
All told I finished 6. I hope you enjoy the pictures below.