To start I replaced the aprons. This entails removing the old apron(s) and the staples that attach it to the beam. I used a set of pliers to grab onto the staple and to pull it out but in many cases it was impossible to get a grip on it so I actually ripped the apron off the beam; thus allowing a needle nose pliers to get under it and then I could push it up a bit until the regular pliers could grab it and remove it.
Then I placed the old apron on top of the new apron and using a colored pencil, I transferred the placement of the staple. Since the line of where the apron is was to be placed was still visible on the beam, I then put the first and last staple in using a hammer and needle nose pliers to hold the staple. Then I worked my way across the beam, driving in the staples into the existing holes.
In the mean time, I did work on hooking the regular beam to the release brake, and that works like a charm; there wasn't a chain long enough to do this so i used 2 small chains and a S hook in between.
Finally, using painters tape, taped the cable for the drum brake down so it isn't flopping around and I put the extra chains, eye bolts, wing nuts and springs in a bag until I can configure everything properly
Today I am putting the new inset eye heddles on the frames and I will re-hang them.