I have just finished 2 days of work on figuring out how to make a portable executable.
As I build out the application, I created a new code branch which started where the last one left off. That is so if anyone want to look at it all, step by step, it is all there. This is a link to the repository.
So what have I learned along the way?
- How to code with Node JS which is what Electron is built upon.
- How to use Electron package/framework to create an application, build the menu, call other pages, write middle ware to respond to events.
- How to submit bugs to GitHub.. I found 4 long the way.
- How to use the Atom text editor which I like;
- How to use the Sublime text editor, which I don't.
- Using NPM - the package installer for Node.
- The documentation on many of these open source packages can be rather lacking!
So what's next? I am going to investigate a framework package (Photon) to add into Electron which can make my life easier and a NOSQL database in preparation for the actual application I want to write.
Here is a picture of my application.