I am now doing some temari for the fun it. First up is an advanced C8 from a Japanese book. This was a stitch-a-long in the temari group, back in September. It is call Ninja Star and if you quilt you might think of it as Monkey Wrench and if you weave it is similar to a hounds tooth. If you don't quilt or weave, never mind!
The mari must be very round and the markings with in 1 mm or less of each other, otherwise it throws everything off. Most of this temari is woven but a square structure is stitched on the mari thus giving a frame for the weaving to attach too. All the stitching is done with doubled thread and it is important to ensure that no twist happen as the threads are woven.
I actually wound 2 mari. The first was too large for the pattern and I would have had to experiment to see if I could make it work with extra rows; it was just easier to wind a new mari in the correct size. After marking with regular sewing thread, it is removed later, I measured everything 4 times to make all the divisions and intersections as even as possible - lots of pins were used to indicate where I had been. Then the stitching and the weaving!
I was partway through the weaving and I almost gave up - twice as I was not seeing the design. But I do not give up and figured if it did not appear, I had at least learned what not to do. When I started the last set of wraps, the design began to appear - YIPEE. I did have a lot of grooming to do - where you push the threads around to even and straighten them.
Next up, a Yubinuki base in the same colors for it. That will be my next post