I assembled a basic kit of rice hulls, yarn, pins, needle, paper strips, mari thread and colored threads for the design, and 2 patterns I knew I could finish during my visit.
A day or two after I arrived I started making a mari by putting the hulls in a piece of cloth and wrapping with yarn and then wrapping with a pale teal. I showed Elisa how I use the paper strip and pins to mark and divide the ball. The next day I lay down the marking thread and started stitching. I did not finish the first temari until after I returned from the walk. After the wrapped bands on a Combination 8 in red, green gold/brown was finished I started the Simple 12 kiku pattern in Pink and Purples.
The best part was when Elisa decided to take some artsy-fartsy pictures of the supplies used and of me too.