I have some things in quantity so think of it as one to wear/carry the others will be in the overnight bag. And I something gets dirty I can wash it in the sink of my B&B room and let it dry overnight and the next day and wear the clean item of that the next day. I am walking for 10 days but I am not carrying 10 sets of clothing; just 2 or 3 of any item depending on what it is.
Here's what I have
- Rain Parka Outdoor Research and Pants by REI. I went OR rain parka because it is a Gore-Tex material and has not only 2-way pit-zips but the front zip is also 2-way. Many of the parka's I looked at did not have a 2-way zip but I like them because you can open the zips from both ends for venting. The rain pants have a full zip along the outside of each leg so you can put them on without taking your boots off and you can prevent dirt/mud from getting on the inside. Because these are Gore-Tex they are a bit heavier and bulkier than some of the very light weight once that through-hikers carry but the Gore-Tex can also add a little layer of warmth protection on cold days. Qty: 1 of each.
- Ultra-Light Puffy Jacket by L.L.Bean. This is poly-fill because down won't keep you warm when wet. I can wear this on the trail or around town. Qnty: 1.
- Base Layer with Omin-Heat Tops and Bottoms by Columbia. I purchased these a little large so I can pull them OVER my shorts/pants and t-shirt if need be. Qty: 1 of each.
- Thin Gloves by Columbia. In case it is cold and raining. Qty: 1 pair.
- Bandana. To cover my ears if cold or to mop my brow if hot. Qty: 1.
- Walking Shorts with pockets and liner by Road Runner sports. Qty: 2.
- Hiking Tights by Columbia. Qty: 2.
- T-shirts. Qty: 3.
- Outer socks by Thorlo. These are a thin running sock with patting in the heel, top of arch and toes and are mid-calf in length to make sure they don't slip into my boots. Qty: 3.
- Inner socks by REI. This is a silk blend to wick moisture and will help prevent blisters. Qty: 3.
- Fleece jacket by L.L.Bean - for when it's cool on the trail or to wear when in a village and walking to dinner. Qty: 1.
- Micro-Fiber Pants by Columbia. These are to wear in the evening when I go to dinner. Qty: 1.
- Polo style shirt by Lands End. Again, to wear to dinner. Qty: 1.
- T-Shirt - for sleeping in at night. Qty: 1.
- Undies. Qty: 3.
- Sport Bra. Qnty: 2
- Hiking Boots by Oboz. These are waterproof and come just above my ankle and have full shank to prevent pronation; this is a problem for me since I am flat footed. I have been wearing their hiking shoe for the past few months while training. Qty: 1 pair.
- Sneakers: To wear in the B&B and when I go to dinner. The lighter weight will be enjoyed after a day of walking in boots.
- Hat with Brim. This is to keep the sun out of my eyes and the brim will help support the midge net IF I am wearing it to keep the midges out of my face.
Yes I am loosing weight but right now I am still chunky so most of my clothing is 1X.
REI says they have plus sizes but most is only XL or 1X and the selection is VERY limited. I went to the REI in San Antonio and they had NONE on the racks. The sales person said they sometimes only get 1 or 2 of the larger items. My thought was WHY?, you have 10 small and 10 medium, maybe 5 large BUT NO XL/1X??. The sales person suggested I order on-line but that's a pain because if they don't fit you have to return them and try another size and around and around you go!
then googled for Plus Size hiking gear and found that Columbia has a very large range of sizes and clothing items. Luckily there is a Columbia store in SA as well so I went and did some trying on. Not everything I wanted was in the size I needed but I could try on a XL which was too small and a 2X which was tooooo large and thus knew the 1X would fit.
Now I can work on fitting what I will actually carry into dry bags and then head to REI for a pack. I will take it to verify that the pack volume will hold my stuff is correct to and get a fitting to make sure the pack is set for my torso length.
Here's what it all look like just laid on the floor excluding boots and a few other things mentioned but not delivered yet.